Chicken and Bacon Chowder
- 4 Garlic cloves – minced
- 1 leek – Cleaned Trimmed and Sliced
- 2 Celery Stalks – Diced Small
- 350 grams cup Mushrooms – Thinly Sliced
- 1 Red Onion – Diced
- 4 Tablespoons of Butter – Divided in two
- 2 Cups of Chicken Stock – Divided in two – Homemade
- 500 Grams of Chicken Breast Fillets – Cut into bite size pieces
- 100 grams of Cream Cheese
- 1 Cup of heavy cream
- 6 rashes of Streaky Bacon – Cut in to small bite size pieces
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon of Dried Thyme
- Heat Slow cooker on High Setting. Add Minced Garlic, Leek, Celery, 200 grams of Mushrooms, Red Onion, 1 Cup of Chicken Stock, 2 Tablespoons of Butter, Salt and Pepper. Cover and cook in slow cooker for half an hour.
- Whilst the Veg are cooking – In a large Frying pan on a medium to high heat, pan sear the Chicken breast pieces in the remaining 2 tablespoons of Butter until they are browned – Approx 5 minutes. At this stage it doesn’t matter if the chicken is not cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the Frying pan and cook the Bacon until cooked through. Remove the bacon from the pan set aside.
- De-glaze the pan with the remaining Chicken Stock ( 1 cup ) and add the Heavy Cream and Cream cheese to the Chicken Stock and stir over a medium heat until the Cream Cheese has melted through and there are no visible signs of Cream Cheese. Add in Dried Thyme and add liquid to Slow Cooker.
- Add cooked Bacon and Chicken and remaining Mushrooms to Slow Cooker – Stir ingredients and cook on Low for 6 – 8 hours
Serves 8 one cup servings.